This program provides travel awards to young scientists conducting research in CEI-related areas to present their work at conferences, including recruiting conferences or professional meetings with organizations amplifying diversity in STEM (i.e. SACNAS, SHPE, NSBE, etc.)
The goals of this program are to provide young UW researchers conducting energy-related research additional opportunities for professional development by presenting their work at major conferences; to raise the profile of CEI by broadening the distribution of important results in core CEI research areas; and to encourage community building among the student and postdoc community by rewarding emerging leaders in collaborative research, education, and/or outreach activities falling under the CEI umbrella.
- Applicants must have a paper accepted for presentation at a conference. Oral presentations will be favored over poster presentations.
- An award is up to $1500 per event to cover actual expenses such as airfare, ground transportation, parking, food and lodging. Reimbursements will be made in accordance with the UW’s policies on travel and reimbursement including applicable per diem lodging and meal limits. International travel requires registry with the Office of Global Affairs
- For in-person conferences, the applicant’s research advisor must agree to provide a 33% match up to $500 (e.g., a $1500 award is paid $1000 by CEI and $500 by the advisor).
- CEI will pay 100% of virtual conference registration.
- Applications must be submitted online. They will be reviewed as received and judged by CEI faculty and/or staff. Applicants will be notified of the result within 2 weeks.
- To support our goal of raising the profile of the Clean Energy Institute, presentations facilitated by the travel award should include the UW CEI logo on their title and conclusion slides and all posters should include the CEI logo in the title bar. Presenters are asked to make a brief oral acknowledgement: “I’d thank the UW Clean Energy Institute for a travel grant to present this work.” All publications based on work supported by CEI should include the following acknowledgement: “This material is based in part upon work supported by the State of Washington through the University of Washington Clean Energy Institute.”
- Individuals may receive a maximum of two awards per fiscal year (ending June 30). Awards are also limited to a maximum of 4 per research group per fiscal year. In the event of limits on funding, priority for travel fellowship funding will be given based on engagement with broader CEI education activities, and quality of the travel experience, as judged by the education director.
- CEI researchers may “pre-apply” for a travel fellowship prior to acceptance of their abstract. To do so, the applicant should complete the form as usual, but include a copy of their abstract, and have their PI send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org confirming that if the applicant’s paper is accepted for a talk, that the PI will cover the required matching funds.
- Awards are only available for current UW students at the time of travel.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants will be notified of the funding decision within 2 weeks.