Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering
The Bergsman group tackles emerging challenges in water, energy, and sustainability using nanomaterials. Through the design of ultrathin nanostructures and coatings, we create membranes that can separate contaminants from water, catalysts that drive difficult chemical reactions, and materials enable the formation of previously unobtainable device architectures. We combine atomically-precise synthesis, advanced characterization approaches, and data science tools to better understand the behavior of molecules in these uniquely small systems and use that understanding to invent processes that can enable the use of clean energy technologies at scale.
- David S. Bergsman, Bezawit A. Getachew, Christ B. Cooper, Jeffrey C. Grossman. “Preserving nanoscale features in polymers during laser induced graphene formation using sequential infiltration synthesis.” Nat. Commun. (2020), 11, 3636. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-020-17259-5
- David S. Bergsman, Jon G. Baker, Richard G. Closser, Callisto MacIsaac, Mie Lillethorup, Alaina Strickler, Laurent Azarno, Ludovic Godet, Stacey F. Bent. “Manganese Alkoxide Films Grown by Hybrid Atomic/Molecular Layer Deposition for Electrochemical Applications.” Adv. Funct. Mater. (2019) 1904129, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201904129
- Richard G. Closser, Mie Lillethorup, David S. Bergsman, Stacey F. Bent. “Growth of a Surface-Tethered, All-Carbon Backboned Fluoropolymer by Photoactivated Molecular Layer Deposition.” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces., 11 (2019) 21988, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.9b03462
- David S. Bergsman, Richard Closser, Stacey F. Bent. “Mechanistic Studies of Chain Termination and Monomer Absorption in Molecular Layer Deposition” Chem. Mater., 30 (2018) 5087, DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.8b01468
- David S. Bergsman, Richard G. Closser, Christopher J. Tassone, Bruce M. Clemens, Denis Nordlund, Stacey F. Bent. “Effect of Backbone Chemistry on the Structure of Polyurea Films Deposited by Molecular Layer Deposition,” Chem. Mater., 29 (2017), 1192. DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.6b04530