CEI recognizes the value of embedding undergrads in labs to continue their research during the academic year or summer following their initial summer REU or ALVA research award. This program provides partial support for up to 4 exceptional students who are working in CEI laboratories. The following are the program guidelines.
- Students must be full time UW students who have participated in the Clean Energy ALVA or Clean Energy Bridget to Research REU program.
- The sponsoring lab must contribute ½ of the wages- a 1:1 match
- Students are expected to work 12 hours a week at $15 an hour, up to $1800 a quarter. Summer positions are negotiated individually.
- Students may receive up to 3 quarters of support, they do not have to be consecutive quarters
- Students apply through the CEI website, they submit a letter of support from their prospective lab PI, a transcript, a description of the nature of the research and the value to personal career goals, and indicate which quarters they would like to be funded.
- Students must submit a quarterly report for their support that consists of one slide explaining the project and progress for the quarter and contains 1 or more images of a key result (could be a plot, photo of sample, instrument they build etc.) and one new photo of the student working in the lab, plus a list of any presentations made or papers co-authored by the student
The primary selection occurs in after the early fall deadline of Oct 15th. If there are still unfilled positions applications will continue to be accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Strong evaluation and endorsement by PI
- Learning opportunity of the research position.
- Alignment of the research with student career goals.
Use the online form to submit your CV, transcript, and research project description and a brief explanation of how this fits with your career goals. The site will automatically contact your lab Advisor for a letter of reference.