The Clean Energy Bridge to Research (CEBR) is a new summer research program sponsored by the Clean Energy Institute. It supports a select group of undergraduates and community college teachers to participate in authentic research in solar, energy storage, and grid technologies with mentorship by UW’s world-class faculty and grad students.
- Encourage students to pursue STEM careers.
- Provide exposure to research at a hands-on level.
- Improve student knowledge about the nature of research including ambiguity, evolving understanding, and the open ended nature of research.
- Develop student inquiry skills including formulating research questions, experimental design, analysis, scientific communication, and envisioning future steps.
- Impart relevant, state of the art content in photovoltaics, energy storage and smart grids in the domains of physics, chemistry, materials science and electrical engineering.
CEBR is recruiting for three cohorts for 2017. The application deadline is February 17, 2017.
A. Full Research Session: June 19-August 19, 2017
For students who have completed two years of college or community college. This is a nine-week immersive research project in a single lab leading to an abstract and poster This session provides a stipend of $4,000, on-campus housing, $500 for food, and a $500 travel allowance.
B. Exploratory Session: June 19-July 19, 2017
For students who have completed one year of college or community college. This is a four-week early research experience. Students will receive training, then complete a mini research project under the tutelage of a graduate student and create an educational product related to their work. Exploratory fellows may apply for the Full Research Session the following year. This session provides a stipend of $2,000.
C. Research Experience for Community College Teachers : June 19-July 19, 2017
For community college teachers working with students who have the goal of integrating clean energy research into their curriculum. This session provides a stipend of $4,000.
This program is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Key Program Dates:
Application Deadline: February 17
Orientation: June 14
Program Starts: June 19
PROGRAM DETAILS FLYER HERE